Militant group the Islamic Defenders Front, or FPI, and other hard-line organizations, have threatened to disrupt Basuki Tjahaja Purnama’s inauguration as Jakarta governor next week. (Antara Photo/Ujang Zaelani)Jakarta. More than 10,000 personnel from the National Police and Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) will be deployed for the inauguration of Jakarta’s new governor next week, amid threats of disruption from hard-line Islamic groups.
Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who was finally endorsed by Jakarta City Council to be appointed governor on Thursday following weeks of dirty politicking, will be sworn in on Nov. 18 — and police aren’t taking chances.
Jakarta Police Chief Insp. Gen. Unggung Cahyono told reporters on Friday that there would be some 12,000 personnel on duty during the ceremony.
“I suggest, with all due respect, that if anybody wants to express their opinion publicly, please do not be anarchist,” Unggung said. “We would assist as best as we can.”
The ceremony will take place under a cloud of threats issued by the militant Islamic Defenders Front, or FPI, and other hard-line groups, who are opposed to Basuki’s inauguration.
The FPI, notorious for its campaigns of violence and intimidation, has staged a number of vocal and often violent protests against Basuki recently. Some 10,000 police officers were deployed at Jakarta City Hall on Monday when the FPI, along with a number of other Islamic organizations, rallied at the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle and threatened to occupy City Hall.
Last month 16 police officers were injured when FPI members protesting against Basuki’s impending inauguration attacked them with rocks, a samurai sword and cow patties.
The group is vehemently against Basuki taking the reins of the capital due to his religion and ethnic background — he a Christian of Chinese descent.









No comments:
Post a Comment